Thought I would try and pull myself out of a hole by putting my troubles on paper, so to speak!
I know I have only spent a few weeks trying to develop my craft hobby as a bit of a small business venture but my lack of progress has started to get me down a bit this weekend.
Rather foolishly I thought that if I set up a website with a few preliminary photos of what I could make and the ideas I have for customised gifts then people would find me and buy, buy, buy! (Not sure how I thought they would find me out of the thousands upon thousands of sites out there but that's the enthusiasm I set out with anyway)
I also spent hours on the computer (one of my least favourite places) trawling the web to find forums and online sites for promoting handmade crafts and don't get me wrong, I think this has been time well spent but it hasn't generated the interest I hoped for.
Feedback for my crafty products has been positive and I'm developing new ones all the time but I can't help feeling disheartened that I haven't got a waiting list of people asking for my customised dolls. "Rag-a-mama" has been a great success with my own children and those of the people who have ordered them but maybe my marketing isn't right.
I'm going to try displaying some products in a couple of local shops if they'll have me but will this work for made-to-order customised items? .... I don't know.
I know I'm not alone and there are lots of keen crafters out there feverishly trying to promote their unique handmade goods so why not join me in a little bit of therapeutic screaming ..... 1 ..... 2 ..... 3 ..... aaaaaahhhhh!
There, that's much better!
Can I defer my therapeutic scream until April/May when I intend to register with scary Mr Taxman and open and Etsy shop. I know I'm going to be just as disillusioned as you when after months of hard work nothing actually happens!
ReplyDeleteKeep your chin up and keep pushing on with it! You'll get there eventually!
Thanks and best of luck to you. Guess I'm just being impatient - I need to spend more time developing my products I think then I hope I'll find an outlet that works. Will be happy to scream with you in a couple of months if you want the company!!
ReplyDelete